Home > History

Visit Heidelberg College CENTER FOR HISTORIC AND MILITARY ARCHAEOLOGY

Home  |  About Us  |  History  |  Research  |  Education  |  How to Help  |  Contact Us  |  Sutler's Shop
     
Threat to Site
Why the prison is at risk, and what can be done about it
 
Camp History
History of the Johnson's Island Prisoner of War Depot
 
How to Help
Donating Time and Money
Sutler's Shop
 
  History

Johnsonís Island, located in Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie was chosen as the site for the Union depot of captured Confederate officers in late 1861. 

Johnsonís Island, approximately 3 miles from Sandusky, was determined to be conveniently accessible for supplies needed for construction and maintenance of the prison and its population. It was also considered more easily protected than other islands in the open lake. The island could be leased for $500 a year with the government having control over who had access to the island. Because of these advantageous factors, the Federal Government built a prison designed to hold 2,500 prisoners on the island. (For more information on the camp history, click here.)

 
Home  |  About Us  |  History  |  Research  |  Education  |  How to Help  |  Contact Us  |  Sutler's Shop
 

Friends of Johnson's Island | Last Update:  05/25/2009 DRB